International Students

You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid:

  • U.S. citizen
  • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain’s Island)
  • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Card)

If you’re not in one of these categories, you must be an eligible non-citizen and must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations:

  • Refugee
  • Asylum Granted
  • Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending
  • Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
  • Parolee

If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you are not eligible for federal student aid.

If you are in the United States and have been granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), are on an F1 or F2 student visa or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you are not eligible for federal student aid.

Also, persons with G-series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible for federal student aid.

Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau are eligible only for Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), or Federal Work-Study. These applicants should check with the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office for more information.

International Student Scholarships

For scholarship opportunities, please contact your academic unit or the International Student Affairs Office.

If you have been awarded a scholarship by an academic unit at UMKC, please contact the awarding department directly with any questions about the award.  Our office will post all awards to student accounts once they are received from the awarding department.  This process may take longer during peak processing times.