There are some circumstances under which you may appeal to lower your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) or increase your Cost of Attendance. You must work with your financial aid coordinator to determine if you'd qualify.

Appeal Your Financial Aid Offer

Special circumstances

Federal regulation recognizes circumstances that may impact your financial situation during the academic year. If you experience any of these situations, you may fill out an appeal form.

Situations that may affect your financial circumstances
Situation Circumstance
Separation, divorce or death The situation must have occurred after the FAFSA was filed.
Reduction of income Expected income has changed due to unemployment, reduced wages or a change in untaxed income and benefits. Adjustments will usually not be made for the dependent student who has experienced a loss in his or her income.
Unusual medical or dental expenses Unusual medical or dental expenses incurred that are not covered by insurance and are in excess of 7.5% of the reported Adjusted Gross Income for tax year used on the FAFSA.
Elementary or secondary tuition Elementary or secondary school tuition paid for dependent children.
Childcare expense Childcare paid for dependent children.
Repairs to student's vehicle Repairs to student’s vehicle made during the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters.
Required books or supplies Books and supplies exceeding the standard allowance.
Personal computer purchase Computer purchase (PDF), once per degree program, for educational use. The cost of the PC (including printer and software) cannot exceed $1,500 unless the student’s academic unit sends documentation supporting the student’s need for equipment that warrants additional costs. 

Dependency override

The U.S. Congress and Department of Education determine the criteria for whether a student is considered dependent or independent of their parents for financial aid purposes.

If you feel there are extenuating circumstances that might warrant reevaluation of your dependency status, you may file an appeal form.

Study Abroad

You may request an adjustment to your Cost of Attendance to help cover the additional costs of your Study Abroad program. Contact our office after you have been accepted into a Study Abroad program.