Frequently Asked Questions

FAFSA Information:

Do I need to file for financial aid every year?

Yes.  Go to and complete a FAFSA every year.

School YearFAFSA Available OnTax Year Information To Use
Fall 2016 through Summer 2017January 1, 20162015
Fall 2017 through Summer 2018October 1, 2016 2015
Fall 2018 through Summer 2019October 1, 2017 2016
Fall 2019 through Summer 2020October 1, 2018 2017
What is an FSA ID and how do I obtain one?

An FSA ID is a user name and password for the U.S. Department of Education websites. This replaced the Federal PIN as of May 2015.  Instructions on how to obtain a FSA ID and answers to frequently asked questions are provided on the Federal Student Aid web site.

What is the deadline to submit a FAFSA?

UMKC’s priority deadline is February 1 and the state of Missouri’s deadline is February 1 for the following fall/spring. You should submit your application as early as possible prior to the academic year you plan on enrolling. You can complete a FAFSA after February 1, but you may miss out on certain types of aid.

Find out when the FAFSA becomes available:

School YearFAFSA Available OnTax Year Information To Use
Fall 2016 through Summer 2017January 1, 20162015
Fall 2017 through Summer 2018October 1, 2016 2015
Fall 2018 through Summer 2019October 1, 2017 2016
Fall 2019 through Summer 2020October 1, 2018 2017

Your application must be received no later than June 30th of the following year.  UMKC must have correct, complete information by the students last date of enrollment to award aid.

Why do I have to supply my parents' financial information and what do I do if they won’t give me their information?

For federal financial aid purposes, an independent student must answer positively to one of the status questions below. Students who do not fit the federal definition are required to supply parental information and signatures.

  • Be at least 24 years of age before Jan. 1 of the academic year for which you are applying
  • Be a married student
  • Be a graduate student
  • Active duty military
  • Be a veteran of the armed forces
  • Have a child/children for whom you provide more than half their financial support
  • Have a legal dependent other than a spouse or child
  • Be an orphan or ward of the court
  • Be an emancipated minor
  • Under legal guardianship (other than parent), or homeless

If you feel you have extenuating circumstances, please review the Special Circumstances Appeal and contact your coordinator for further assistance.

Who's my parent when I complete the FAFSA?

If you are considered a dependent student you will need to provide information about your parent(s) on the FAFSA.  Here is a helpful graphic to determine who should be included on the FAFSA.

If you have additional questions, see this helpful information provided by Federal Student Aid

Verification Process:

Why did I get selected for verification?

Students may be selected for verification at random, or if information provided on the FAFSA was inconsistent, unusual, or incomplete.  If selected for verification, students should submit all necessary documents in a timely manner.

Where can I find my Verification Form?

The Verification Form you are required to complete varies from student to student. Follow the Verification Guide to know which form applies to you.

Why do you need my tax return transcript?

You may not need to submit tax documentation if you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and have made no changes to the information when you submit the FAFSA.  If you didn’t use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, it’s not too late.  Go back to your FAFSA and use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool following these simple steps.

If you are unable to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, we need your Tax Return Transcript from the IRS to ensure validity of the information.  Need to request a tax transcript? Use one of the methods below:

  • Online:
  • Telephone: (800) 908-9946
  • IRS Form: 4506T-EZ (Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript)*

Award Information:

How do I complete Entrance Counseling and/or a Master Promissory Note?

Please visit and log in using your FSA ID to complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note for Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Parent PLUS, and Grad PLUS loans.

My enrollment is changing, will my financial aid be impacted?

Yes, your financial aid awards may be impacted with a change in enrollment.  We recommend you review the Changes to Your Enrollment section and contact your financial aid coordinator.

What is the difference between a Subsidized loan and an Unsubsidized loan?

A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need.  You will not be charged any interest before you begin repayment or during authorized periods of deferment.  The federal government subsidizes the interest during these periods.

An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need.  You will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full.

Find out more about federal loans.

I declined my award. How do I get my financial aid reinstated?

Students can either send an email to asking for their aid to be reinstated or come into the office and fill out a review form.  Keep in mind that some funding is limited and may no longer be available.

Do I have to be full-time to receive financial aid?

No. To receive most federal aid, undergraduate students need to be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours (half time) and graduate students need to be enrolled in at least 5 credit hours (half time).  Enrollment requirements for grants and scholarships may vary depending on the specific grant or scholarship.  Review the Types of Aid you received to determine your enrollment requirements.

Is financial aid available for the summer semester? If so, how do I apply?

Summer aid is manually awarded to each student who requests it and has remaining eligibility.  Students should email our office at with the number of credit hours they intend to enroll in for the summer semester starting March 1st.

Are international students eligible to receive financial aid?

Eligibility can vary, please see the International Students page for more information.

I'm taking classes at another institution, can I receive financial aid for those credits?

If you are enrolled in at least 6 credit hours at UMKC, complete a Consortium Agreement available on our Forms page in order to determine if you are eligible for additional aid for the consortium credits.  This form needs to be completed 8 weeks prior to the start of the semester.

General Questions:

When is financial aid disbursed?

Our office starts disbursing financial aid to the student’s Cashiers & Collections account the week before classes begin each semester, and continues to disburse aid throughout the semester.  You can see the initial disbursement date in Pathway:

Self Service  arrow to the right  Campus Finances  arrow to the right  View Financial Aid  arrow to the right  Aid Year  arrow to the right  View Scheduled Disbursement Dates


If your Financial Aid exceeds your charges, the Cashiers & Collections Office will process a refund for you.

How and when can I get my books?

Students may charge their books at the UMKC Bookstore with a Student ID card prior to the beginning of the semester, with the exception of a student who has a Cashier’s hold for charging privileges.  The amount of the books will be added to your UMKC bill.

Students who do not want to charge their books at the UMKC Bookstore may buy them off campus out-of-pocket, or with any Financial Aid refund they may receive.

Work-Study Information:

How do I apply for a Federal Work-Study award?

Students interested should mark “yes” to work-study on their FAFSA.  Requesting Work-Study on the FAFSA does not guarantee you will receive an award, as funding is limited.  Since Work-Study is a need-based program not all students that apply will qualify. The priority deadline for completing the FAFSA with the possibility of being awarded Federal Work-Study is February 1st.

If you are not awarded a Federal Work-Study award you may request to be added to the wait list by using our online wait list portal.

What is Federal Work-Study and how does it work?

Federal Work-Study is a federal program designed to help students, who have financial need, with the cost of education by allowing them to earn their award through part-time work in an on-campus or off-campus job.  A student with a Work-Study award receives a paycheck every two weeks based on the number of hours worked and the pay rate hired at by the university department.  A student may not earn more than their Work-Study award amount.

Does my Federal Work-Study paycheck go directly to my UMKC bill?

No.  When a student is hired in a Work-Study position, they will receive a paycheck for the hours worked on a Bi-Weekly Pay Period Schedule.  Students may set up direct deposit so that the funds are deposited directly into their personal bank accounts, or choose to receive a paper check.

What if I do not earn the full amount of my Federal Work-Study award?

Earning the full amount of the award is not guaranteed. Work with your Work-Study supervisor to establish a schedule that will maximize the amount you can earn out of your Work-Study award.

If I fail Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) do I still qualify for Federal Work-Study?

Unfortunately, no.  At UMKC, students must be in good academic standing to qualify for the Work-Study program.  All student must meet the terms of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).  If you fail SAP or are on a SAP contract (probation) for a semester your Work-Study award will be cancelled and you will be instructed to stop work immediately.  After a student meets the terms of the contract at the end of their probationary semester, they may request a Work-Study award for the following semester. UMKC’s policy regarding Federal Work-Study eligibility may differ from other institutions.

Parent Information:

How can I give my parents permission to speak with you?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) limits the type and amount of information we can disclose without proper identification or consent.  To give consent to a third party, a student should follow the instructions outlined in the Additional Authorized Access and Third Party FERPA Release Instructions.  For additional information about FERPA, visit the Registration & Records Office FERPA page.