UMKC participates in the Federal Work-Study Program, which provides funding for part-time student jobs both on campus and off. The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office will award Work-Study to students as part of their financial aid package. Students will know they have been awarded Work-Study by an award notification, and the amount of the award is the maximum amount the student can earn within that academic year or summer period. Students not awarded work-study may submit a written request to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to be added to the wait list.
How do I get Work-Study?
Request Work-Study on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Requesting Work-Study on the FAFSA does not guarantee you will receive the award, as it is available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are not awarded, you may submit a written request to the Financial Aid Office, or send an email to email@example.com. Funding is limited and varies from year to year.Learn more
In order to receive work study:
- Students must have financial need as determined by information submitted on the FAFSA
- Students must be attending UMKC at least half-time throughout the entire term (6 credit hours for undergraduate students, 5 credit hours for graduate students)
- Students must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Students must have requested work-study for either the academic year or the summer period.
If offered work-study, the award must be accepted by the student using the Pathway system. If the award is not accepted, it may be removed and given to another student.
Students with an academic year award (fall/spring) who start classes in the fall may begin working the first day of classes and stop working the last day of classes. Students who have a summer award may start working the first day of summer classes and stop the last day of summer classes. Students who have an academic year award and a summer award may continue working through breaks, provided the award from the previous term is not exceeded.Learn more
For most work-study jobs, you may work 15-20 hours per week but may not exceed 29 hours per week. Discuss the breakdown of hours with your supervisor since the award amount will have to be budgeted throughout the period of employment so the award is not exceeded.
Some students seek and are able to obtain a work-study job in an area related to their major. However, many of the jobs are administrative in nature, and while they provide valuable job skills, they may not necessarily be in the major of choice.
Students must abide by all departmental regulations regarding work assignments. Additionally, students are not allowed to be present or working at their work-study job during scheduled class time. Doing so may jeopardize their work-study eligibility.
Applying for a Work-Study Position
Jobs offered exclusively to Work-Study students are posted on Handshake. Once a job is obtained and new payroll paperwork is completed, students work and receive a paycheck (direct deposit) every two weeks. Awards are generally $4,600 for the academic year and $3,600 for the summer. Students are not guaranteed to earn the full amount of their award, and unused portions do not roll over into the next enrollment period. An award must be in place for each period a student works. Having a work-study award does not guarantee a job, and a student can work only one work-study job at a time.Learn more
Work-study jobs are not eligible for benefits.
If you are unable to find a job, contact Career Services. They can assist you with your job search.
Directions for searching and applying for a Federal Work-Study position in the Career Services Handshake system can be found in the written steps below:
- To find the UMKC Work-Study Job postings you will need to log in to Handshake: https://umkc.joinhandshake.com/login
- Enter your UMKC Username & Password under “UMKC Student Only Login”*
- Click on “For You” at the top of the homepage
- Find “Suggested by Your School” on the left hand side of the page
- Click on “Work-Study Jobs”
- Click the Work-Study Jobs website link provided to take you to a second log in page *
- Enter your UMKC Username & Password for a second time
- Listing of all available Federal Work-Study Job openings
* New students must attend Orientation and register for classes before a Handshake account is created. If you have any issues accessing Handshake contact Career Services at (816)235-1636
** If you are unable to complete any of the steps in selecting a Work-Study position, please contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at (816) 235-1154.
What to do when you are hired
Your hiring supervisor will provide you with all necessary hiring paperwork, which must be completed prior to your start of employment. You will be required to provide two forms of identification. Please reference the List of Acceptable Documents for I-9s.
If you are a Work-Study supervisor, you will need a copy of the Federal Work-Study Handbook and also be given access to the Federal Work-Study Management Site. If you need any assistance with either of these, please contact the Federal Work-Study Coordinator in the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.
Other Employment Opportunities
Didn’t receive a Work-Study award? Still looking for part-time employment? Check out the resources and other job opportunities available to you at Career Services.